UBP12 & My Big, Fat Ren Fair Wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

April 19, 2012
By

My UBP12 Party Post

I just found out about the Ultimate Blot Party 2012 (a.k.a. UBP12) and it’s nearly over! Even so, I thought I’d make a party post and join in. Better late than never, right?

For my UBP12 party post, I figure I’d share a few photos from my wedding last year. Here ya go:

My Ren Fair Wedding

Last year, Larry and I tied the knot – literally – at the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie, Texas. We plan to visit again for our anniversary, albeit a little belatedly, but I thought I would post a few photos from the ceremony and reception on my blog today. (I’ll post more photos and explain more about the festival in an upcoming post.)

Scarborough Renaissance Festival wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

I have helped plan, decorate, set-up, and clean up for several weddings in my life, and I’ve gotta say: It takes a lot of time, energy and creative effort.

When Larry proposed to me in 2010, I was thrilled, but … I moved to Texas from Washington State, so I had absolutely no idea where to begin when it came to planning our wedding.

It was so easy and fun!

Up in Washington, I knew the hot venues. I knew which caterers could be trusted, which bakeries made tasty cakes, and which florists made pretty bouquets.

Hey, I worked in food service for years, even owned my owned coffeehouse/restauarant.  In my spare time I hung out with photographers, cooks and  musicians, so up north, I had a clue.

However, here in Texas? I knew nothing!

Scarborough Renaissance Festival wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

At the time we were planning our wedding, I didn’t have any local friends who I could ask for advice. All my pals were thousands of miles away. Plus, I was still really anemic and had very little energy. Not exactly what Charlie Sheen would call a winning combo.

Scarborough Renaissance Festival wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

Long story short: we decided to get married at the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie, Texas and it was fabulous. I highly recommend it.

Not only did they have a certified officiant to conduct the ceremony, but they have a fantastic baker who creates magnificent cakes, a great florist, good food, and – best of all – after we were hitched, we goofed around for the rest of the day.

No clean up necessary!

Scarborough Renaissance Festival wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

As you can see, I dressed as a purple fairy. I considered many traiditional Medieval maiden outfits, but – this is Texas, y’all! The day we were married, it was in the 90′s and humid, so I’m glad I opted for lighter clothing! I made the headdress, and am especially fond of the little bird because I’m an avid amateur birder.

Larry, my handsome prince, actually made the anvil that you see in the photos. Isn’t that cool? We wrote our own vows, and the cords you see (which we tied during the ceremony) were made by his daughter and me. You can see my husband’s son and daughter in one of the photos here, too. Larry’s daughter even sewed her own dress – his do-it-yourself spirit runs in the family!

So if you’re planning on getting married and you want a convenient, playful, fun experience, consider having a wedding at a Renaissance fair. I’m so glad we did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , ,

31 Responses to UBP12 & My Big, Fat Ren Fair Wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

1. April 14, 2014 at 12:44

What an amazing wedding!!! My fiancé is practically obsessed with medieval things and he always jokes about getting married at the Renaissance Festival here in Phoenix LOL Your wedding looks great. Happy belated Anniversary!
    Cinta Garcia de la Rosa recently posted..#ATOZCHALLENGE: L is for Love.

• Tui Snider
      April 15, 2014 at 19:08

Hi Cinta! I highly recommend getting married at a ren fair. I’ve helped with many weddings and this one was the least stressful one ever. Plus, we have a built-in party to return to every year for our anniversary. Not to mention that since your fiancé is so interested in the time period, he is likely to be more involved in the planning than most grooms. I say: Go for it! :D

2. June 5, 2012 at 16:45

I absolutely LOVE your photos!! It looks like you guys had a ball and congratulations to you.

btw: You gotta love some of our southern city names like Waxahachie :-)

*holds up glass* – Here’s to many many more years of bliss!!

~Kesha
    Kesha, The Uncommon Chick recently posted..Cover Story Dreams: Which Magazine Cover Would You Be On?

June 5, 2012 at 16:46

Hi Kesha,

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I am a total shutterbug, as you can see, and compliments only make me worse! ;p

Waxahachie is a great name, I agree. It’s a Native American term for something like, “cow creek,” if I remember correctly. (Hmmm,,, need to look that up now!)

Thanks for your kind words and your wedding toast! :)

~Tui

3. May 7, 2012 at 17:58

OMG however did I miss this. It’s just gorgeous. And you both look so happy. I love every bit of it! It is on our list to go the Scarborough Faire, I’ve heard it is one of the best and if your pictures here and on your other entries show half the story –it is!
    Wondrous! just wondrous!
    Jyllianm recently posted..Alphabetical Observation

May 7, 2012 at 17:59

Hi Jyllian,

If you ever go to Scarborough – let me know! We could meet you there. :)

Let’s try for next year!

~Tui

4. May 3, 2012 at 20:34

WOW! I love your address, absolutely LOVE your dress! It is a fantastic idea to get married at a Ren Fair. How convenient, memorable and fun. You were a beautiful bride (as you continue and will always be a beautiful woman!)

Congrats and thanks for commenting on my blog via #commenthour!
    Julie Jordan Scott recently posted..Lessons from Eeyore and Zen Buddhism, Well… Sort of…. #StoryaDay

May 3, 2012 at 20:36

Hi Julie,

It was a magical day – and like you say – really convenient. We went back for our anniversary this year and actually had time to check out the shows and just play. We have a built in anniversary party to attend every year now!

~Tui

5. April 27, 2012 at 19:05

Oh my gracious. This is like a fairy tale – you have pixie wings! Love love! :)
    Lydia recently posted..Poem in my Pocket

April 27, 2012 at 19:06

Hi Lydia,

Thank you! It felt like a fairytale, too. Very fun wearing wings, although sometimes I’d forget about my wingspan!

~Tui

6. April 26, 2012 at 17:25

Congrats! I love how unique and personalized the event was! You looked beautiful and it looks like everyone had a blast!
    Sarah recently posted..Mother’s Day: 10 Gifts Made in USA for Mom

April 26, 2012 at 17:26

Hi Sarah,

It was fun how the guests played along – or not – depending! We had a very fun day, a meaningful ceremony, and no clean up afterwards!

~Tui

7. Georgia Burns
    April 24, 2012 at 22:53

Oh how lovely! Getting married on a fairy dress? That was a cute concept. You’re like Tinkerbell in your dress. Congrats!
    Georgia Burns recently posted..Client Services Project Coordinator

April 24, 2012 at 22:54

Hi Georgia,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. It was so much fun to dress up and have a magical day at the fair, where everyone you meet is in character and playing the same fun game.

~Tui

8. April 24, 2012 at 11:07

Gonna celebrate our first anniversary there this weekend! :) RT @SweetMJ: This is my kind of party. @srfestival http://t.co/KSD3EPh8

9. Camilia Spencer
    April 24, 2012 at 00:47

Wow! A fairy themed wedding! Congratulations to the newly weds. Wishing you all the best. :)
    Camilia Spencer recently posted..4 Chic Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

April 24, 2012 at 00:48

Hi Camilia,

Nice to meet you! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I will check out your blog, too. Hope to see you here again.

~Tui

10. April 23, 2012 at 18:00

I want a party like this but at a rock festival!!!! http://t.co/Hjdcgyow

11. April 23, 2012 at 17:57

This is my kind of party. @mentalmosaic http://t.co/Yam93940

12. April 23, 2012 at 17:54

What a fun party!!!! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Michael recently posted..Why I Blog

April 23, 2012 at 17:55

Hi Michael,

It was super fun – like being a little kid & playing dress up all day long. Only even better, because everyone else around you is playing along with you! :)

~Tui

13. April 22, 2012 at 23:02

So awesome. My friends at UCI were married at a ren fair by a friend who is a Unitarian Priest. They did indeed literally
    tie the knot, which I really like as a tradition. I am glad you were able to have such an awesome day.

April 22, 2012 at 23:47

Hi Susan,

We wrote our own vows, which was really nice, personal and meant a lot to us both. I loved tying the knot. It felt right to do something so symbolic. It really was a fun day. :)

~Tui

14. April 20, 2012 at 18:39

I love that you were a fairy! I think it makes the wedding even more special when you have fun! My favorite thing at Scarborough Fair is the Mud Pit! Those guys are the best!
    Sonia P. recently posted..Pasqua 2012

April 20, 2012 at 18:42

Hi Sonia,

We’re going back to Scarborough this weekend to celebrate our first anniversary. It’s like a guaranteed party for us each year, if we want. I’ll check out the Mud Pit for you while we’re there. It should be another fun day – thunderstorms permitting!

~Tui

15. April 20, 2012 at 10:25

Congratulations on your wedding! Looks like you had a great day!! Glad you found out about #UBP12 from my blog. Thanks for letting me know. Look forward to perusing your blog.

April 20, 2012 at 10:26

Hi Stacey,

Nice to meet you. :) We had a very fun wedding day, I must say!

Thanks for alerting me to #UBP12. I still need to swing by the blogs I’ve found there.

Hope to see you here again sometime.

~Tui

16. April 20, 2012 at 00:52

Awwwww….such cute pictures! Looks like fun was had by all.
    Sheila Octaviano recently posted..Jeren, the worry wort.

April 20, 2012 at 00:53

Hi Sheila,

It really was a fun day. We’re going back to the fair this weekend to celebrate our anniversary. :)

Thanks for stopping by!