A to Z Texas: R is for Ren Fair in Waxahachie

April 20, 2013
By
Pretty fairy at Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie, TX (photo by Tui Snider)

Scarborough Fair in Waxahachie, Texas

Every spring, Waxahachie, Texas hosts a huge ren fair, officially called the Scarborough Renaissance Festival. Back in 2010, it was the first such medieval reenactment I’d ever been to and – wow – was it ever fun.

I had so much fun, in fact, that I returned in 2011 to get married! Not only were we married by the Archbishop of Canterbury, but we literally tied the knot.

While renaissance fairs are not unique to Texas, the one over in Waxahachie is a big one: over 35 acres of shops and buildings that remain intact year-round.

Texas Ren Fair Photo Essays

For a fun and informative photo essay, check out my post: Are you going to Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie, Texas?

Want even more ren fair photos? If so, take a scroll through the pics at: Row80 & a Ren Fair Redux.

Beautiful courtesan at Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie, TX (photo by Tui Snider)

My Ren Fair Wedding Photos

If you would like see a few of my ren fair wedding photos and hear how easy-peasy it is to get hitched there, check out: UBP12 & My Big, Fat Ren Fair Wedding in Waxahachie, Texas

Another nice thing about getting married at a renaissance fair is that we can re-visit each year for a built-in anniversary party!

Have you ever been to a renaissance fair or any other sort of historical reenactment?

More A to Z blog posts

This was my post for the letter R of the A to Z blogging challenge. Tune in Monday to see what quirky Texan thing the letter S will bring!

In the meantime, click on this link to find out what all the other A to Z blogging challenge folks are posting. There are so many great blogs out there to read and enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to A to Z Texas: R is for Ren Fair in Waxahachie

1. April 22, 2013 at 21:01

We went to one Ren fair in upstate NY. By the time we got in most the performers were drunk–which meant they thought they were hilarious and we stood there staring. Sad times. The jousting was cool though.

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 18:48

Hi Crystal,

Sounds like you had a memorable time, but for the wrong reasons! :/

~Tui

2. April 21, 2013 at 03:42

That looks like a lot of fun! (And we drove through Waxahachie today.)

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 18:47

Hi Chuck,

Did you swing by the courthouse in Waxahachie? It’s got a quite a story behind it, too!

~Tui

3. April 20, 2013 at 21:30

I’ve never been to a renaissance fair before but they look like fun. There is one near here in the spring and I think my kids would like it. That’s very cool that you got married there.
    Dan Miller recently posted..Red Fox

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 18:05

Hi Dan,

Oh – ren fairs are great for kids! I hope you take your little ones sometime.

~Tui

4. April 20, 2013 at 20:47

I LOVE Ren fairs! I used to be a Ren reenactor and dancer for years. Never been to one in the USA though…
    Is that fairy Twig?… :)
    Tarkabarka recently posted..R is for the Rainbow Princess

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 18:02

Hi Tarkabarka,

We’re going to the fair here in Texas tomorrow. I’d beam you over if I could! :)

~Tui

5. April 20, 2013 at 19:10

I just clicked over and saw your wedding photos. Who else but your husband can say he married the purple fairy? Love it!
    Carol Kilgore recently posted..A-Z Solomon’s Compass Style: Rock Harbor aka Rockport, Texas

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 18:00

Hi Carol,

I’m glad I went the fairy route, too, because it was 90+ degrees that day! I would baked in any of the “Maid Marion” type stuff I had tried on before.

~Tui

6. April 20, 2013 at 18:49

Sounds like a cool fair, and big congratulations (even though I am a year late) on your wedding.

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    Visiting from AtoZ #41
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes recently posted..Russian Security Is Serious – Learn From Our Mistakes (AtoZ Travel Tips)

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 17:42

Hi Rhonda,

Thank you! Getting married at the fair was so much fun.

~Tui

7. April 20, 2013 at 01:54

I love the Ren Fair…because turkey legs! And people watching! What a cool place to get married!
    Charlie recently posted..Quality dental work = not good for posting

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 17:04

Hi Charlie,

Haha – I almost included a photo of my husband gnawing on a turkey leg. He loves those!

And, yeah, the people-watching is great! We like to get into character, too.

~Tui

8. April 20, 2013 at 01:40

The college I went to have a Ren fair every year on campus. It was so cool and I really wish I had had more money at the time because there were so many things I wanted to buy.

• mentalmosaic
      April 27, 2013 at 17:01

Patricia,

Hey, its a Ren Fair, maybe you could have bartered!

~Tui